The COVID-19 pandemic is no longer news around the Globe but what is of utmost importance is education of all on safety measures and how to prevent transmission. No doubt, COVID-19 poses a major threat to health care workers and records exist of fatalities arising from the virus transmission while providing services to infected clients.
It is on this premise that the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) in conjunction with Development Partners and other Health Organizations, organized training for Health Workers across States especially with the increasing spread of the corona virus in Nigeria. The training and retraining of the PHC workforce with new and updated information to build their capacity, skills and competencies is one of the key recommendations to equip the human resource to contain the outbreak as well as protect the health and well being of PHC workers.
The training for Kogi at the State level was conducted between the 18th to 21st of May, 2020 while the LGA training kicked off on the 15th through to 18th June, 2020. The Ward level training is scheduled to follow immediately from 19th June, 2020.
The objectives of the training is to equip the participants to:
- Know the historical background of the corona virus
- Understand the modes of transmission and prevention
- Practice strategies and standard infection precautions for PHC workers
- Discuss key requirements and mechanism for service provision in PHC Clinics in this era of COVID 19
- Identify commodities and equipment required to ensure service provision, safety of clients and PHC workers
- Know the procedure for handling solid waste, liquid waste, decontamination and sterilization of medical instruments during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Communicate the right messages on COVID-19 to clients and know how to link the services within the community.
The ED KGSPHCDA – Dr Abubakar Yakubu deemed it necessary to do a tour of some LGAs to ascertain the level of turnout for the training and as well encourage the LG health workers not to relent in their efforts in yielding to the call of service to humanity in their various capacities.
The ED during his tour of Kogi West Senatorial district, and at Kabba Bunu precisely, was delighted and commended the appearance of the Health workers who turned up in their professional uniforms looking very neat.
He charged the health workers thus:
“Consider your lives precious even as you render service to humanity, ensure personal safety with the use of Personal Protective equipment (PPE) to avoid getting infected’.
“Ignore rumors of COVID 19 absence in the state as the truth remains that some are dying silently from this disease. You have nothing to lose and no harm in self protection”.
Other personalities present during the ED’s visit at Kabba training center was Dr Nuhu Ningi of Kogi State WHO, State Facilitator- Mrs Olusunle V.B. the HOD of the LG PHC department and other Local Government Health Officers.
“COVID-19 is real, take this training seriously. Try to observe all precautionary measures. As we do our part, we pray that the Almighty God will protect us all”.